Tile can be a beautiful and durable flooring and wall covering, but it can also be difficult to keep the grout clean, especially in busy households. Here are a few tips to help you keep your tile and grout looking its best, even with a busy schedule.
Tile and Grout Maintenance
Sweep or mop regularly
This will remove loose dirt and debris that can scratch your tile and grout. For best results, use a microfiber mop or a damp cloth with a mild detergent.
Spot clean spills immediately
The longer a spill sits, the harder it will be to remove. Blot up spills with a clean cloth and then rinse with clean water. If necessary, you can use a mild detergent to remove any residue.
Deep clean your tile and grout regularly
How often you need to deep clean will depend on the amount of traffic your tile and grout sees. For light traffic areas, you may only need to deep clean once a month or two. For high traffic areas, you may need to deep clean once a week.
To deep clean your tile and grout, you can use a commercial tile and grout cleaner or make your own DIY solution.
DIY Grout Solution:
- Mix equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply the paste to the grout with a toothbrush or sponge and scrub gently.
- Let the paste sit for a few minutes before rinsing with clean water.
Seal your grout regularly
Grout is porous, so it can absorb dirt and stains easily. Sealing your grout will help to protect it from stains and make it easier to clean. You can seal your grout yourself with a commercial grout sealer or hire a professional to do it for you.
Additional tips to make tile and grout maintenance easier
- Create a cleaning schedule and stick to it. This will help you to avoid falling behind on your cleaning and make it easier to keep your tile and grout looking its best.
- Assign cleaning tasks to family members. This will help to lighten the load and make tile and grout maintenance a team effort.
- Invest in some cleaning tools and products. This will make cleaning your tile and grout faster and easier. For example, a steam mop can be a great way to clean tile and grout without using harsh chemicals.
By following these tips, you can keep your tile and grout looking its best, even with a busy schedule. If you're looking for more details on tile, check out our guide Wall and Floor Tile for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know. Thinking about installing a backsplash in your kitchen or bathroom? Be sure to read our guide about how to install a backsplash.
Don't hesitate to reach out to our team of experts with any questions you have!